Bulb Monitoring

Interface and features

Все вопросы о внешнем виде и функциях ColorMFA
All questions about the appearance and functions of ColorMFA
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  12 фев 2021, 23:09

I am having trouble getting bulb monitoring to work when it shows an error if a headlight fails. I added the diode to my cluster. I programmed the EEPROM. I changed the coding in VCDS. Is there a hidden menu in ColorMFA? When I test by unplugging the headlight, no error is shown. I have a 2004 Jetta.

Oddly, I also modded the DHRC monitoring, and that works fine.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  12 фев 2021, 23:14

One update, we checked the boxes for LampFL Main and LampFR Main but no change. Is there a master setting somewhere?
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  14 фев 2021, 09:41

Does the bulb monitoring require an additional wire to ColorMFA like DHRC?
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  15 фев 2021, 20:16

Lamp control: ColorMFA TrInput9 - cluster Blue 6 - Main lamp failure
Lamp control: ColorMFA TrInput10 - cluster Blue 16 - Brake lamp failure
Добавьте данные об автомобиле в подпись (профиль -> подпись). Чтоб не спрашивать постоянно... :)
Please add info about your car to you signature (profile -> edit signature). To not ask every time... :)
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  17 фев 2021, 22:45

I will do that. Thank you. Would it make sense to add this info into the ColorMFA installation instructions? I didn't see it in the last page with the spreadsheet.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  25 фев 2021, 03:34

Some progress. We ran the two wires, and the brake monitoring works, but not the headlights. The EEPROM is programmed. Are there any other steps? The alerts are enabled in the secret menu.
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  25 фев 2021, 04:48

Only connect wires and enable "MainLamp" and "BrakeLamp" in Software->Errors.
You can connect +12V to TrInput 9 or/and 10 to test operation.

Everything else depends on the connection of your bulb control module.
You don't even need to activate options in cluster eeprom.
Добавьте данные об автомобиле в подпись (профиль -> подпись). Чтоб не спрашивать постоянно... :)
Please add info about your car to you signature (profile -> edit signature). To not ask every time... :)
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  26 фев 2021, 06:24

Will the MainLamp errors definitely work just with 12V? We tried that and it still didn't show an error. The BrakeLamp does work. I trust the person working on my cluster because he is one of the main importers of ColorMFA in the US. Do we need to install the cluster in the car with the proper ECU coding for the MainLamp errors to work? I have a Golf/Jetta cluster 1J5920846C. Thanks.
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  26 фев 2021, 06:44

Will the MainLamp errors definitely work just with 12V?
Exactly. You don't even have to install ColorMFA to the dashboard. You can simply "on the table" supply power to the ColorMFA and +12 to the TrInputs.

Disconnect TrInput 10 from the cluster, go to Debug-> Hardware-> Inputs. Connect and disconnect +12 from TrInput 10. Look at the screen, does the input change state ?

Are you using a "simple" bulb monitoring ECU to control lamps ? With 2 outputs ? One for the all brake lights, and another one for everyone else (Parking/Tail Light + Head Light) ?
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 03:18

We got this to work on the workbench. However, after installing my cluster in my car, MainLamp still doesn't work. I am using the Audi 393 relay 4B0919471A. The BrakeLamp does work. I verified coding via VCDS.

Does this image reveal anything? The photo was taken with the engine on, the headlights on and the passenger headlight disconnected. Does it matter #9 and #10 are different? I am just guessing.
Is there any other test I can do with the cluster installed? Thanks for the help.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 06:01

To clarify that photo of the debug menu when my cluster is installed:

Engine On, Lights On, Passenger Headlight Disconnected
TrInput9 = On = No Alerts

Engine On, Lights On, Tail Light Disconnected
TrInput10 = Off = Alerts

Should TrInput9 show "On" if the passenger headlight is disconnected?
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 07:07

Step by step...

On the workbench:
- Disconnect wire between ColorMFA TrInput 10 and the cluster pin 16. Power up cluster. Go to Debug-> Hardware-> Inputs. Connect and disconnect +12 directly to TrInput 10. Look at the screen, does the input change state ?
State is not changed: the problem in ColorMFA TrInput. State is changed: all ok, do next step.
- Solder wire again between ColorMFA TrInput 10 and the cluster pin 16. Power up cluster. Go to Debug-> Hardware-> Inputs. Connect and disconnect +12 directly to pin 16. Look at the screen, does the input change state ?
State is not changed: the problem is somewhere in the cluster or connections. State is changed: all ok, do next step.

On the car:
- Disconnect wire from pin 16 in blue socket (wire from bulb control module). Pulldown this wire to ground via resistor (any from 10 to 30kOm). Measure voltage on this wire when all bulbs is presents and measure voltage when some bulbs is disconnected. When the bulbs are disconnected, the voltage at this wire should be greater than +7V. If nothing changes, then the problem is in the bulb control module or its connection.

P.S.: The coding of cluster and any changes in cluster EEPROM have no meaning. This does not affect to ColorMFA and this function in ColorMFA.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 08:12

Thanks for the detailed info. Are the steps the same for TrInput9? The brake light alerts are working, i.e TrInput10. Only the headlight alerts are not working, i.e. TrInput9. Or, am I missing something.
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 09:13

Yes, of course. My mistake. TrInput9 and pin 6 in blue socket of cluster.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 09:29

Thanks. Is there any chance that HID headlights work differently than halogen headlights for testing? We have been disconnecting the 12-pin connector on the headlight to test a Xenon bulb outage. However, someone told me HID's might work differently and we need to disconnect the Xenon bulb instead so that the ballast can send back a 12 volt signal. Does this sound possible?
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  03 мар 2021, 10:01

I don't know, sorry.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  09 мар 2021, 07:02

I am testing again soon. To confirm, are "MainLamp" and "BrakeLamp" the only error checkboxes to select, or do I also need to select the individual lights too like "LampFR Main" and "LampFL Main?" Thanks.
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  09 мар 2021, 11:22

For your bulb monitoring module just turn on "MainLamp" and "BrakeLamp".
All other lamp warnings are supported by the "next generation" lamp control module where all lamps are tested separately. This modules installed mostly on next gen. Audi (8E, 8P, e.t.c.). You can also enable these settings. But they will not affect the work if you do not have such a module. These modules work via the CAN bus.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  24 мар 2021, 03:46

Success! To test the low beam, we had to disconnect the bulb, not the whole headlight. Thanks for the help.
manicslothpdx

Сообщение  24 мар 2021, 06:17

Someone else just pointed out to me, is there supposed to be an icon for the MainLamp error message? Is that a limitation of the ColorMFA firmware?
Ответить