English language

Interface and features

Все вопросы о внешнем виде и функциях ColorMFA
All questions about the appearance and functions of ColorMFA
Ответить
mmgherasim
Контакты:

Сообщение  02 мар 2020, 16:24

Hello, guys! I would like to make some improvements to the overall english language in ColorMFA, to make it look more professional, more original like and reduce some clutter. I would like to know your thoughts about this update, so Autopilot can have an easier job implementing it. I will post pics for you to see the comparison between old and updated (on the left is old and on the right is updated) and also write the comparison texts here. Take your time reading this and let me know what you think. Thank you!

I will write below the mods so you get the idea of what I did and to follow the example for the rest of the pics.

DIAG pic

Connecting... becomes Connecting (no need for the extra 3 dots, as long as they don't flash sequentially)
Retry 2 becomes Retry 1 (it's the first retry after trying to connect)
Retry 3 becomes Retry 2 (2nd retry after 1st retry failed)
Failed initialize transmitter becomes Failed to initialize transmitter ("to" was missing)
Timeout response becomes Response timeout (proper formulation)
Failed end of block becomes Invalid end of block (invalid is the appropriate word)
Failed reply becomes Invalid reply (same as above, invalid is the appropriate word)

ECU pic
UPDATE: I redid this after taking autopilot's advices.

ERROR pic
Some minor aesthetic changes.

MAIN pic
Current speed becomes Speed (just 'speed' looks better, but won't be seen by most of us, anyway, because we have 'Large speed' enabled for main screen)
Travel time becomes Drive time (again, I think 'drive' is more relevant, since we're not always 'traveling') :)
Traveled distance becomes Distance (I think just 'Distance' is enough, like most of cars shows it)
Distance to empty becomes Fuel range ('Fuel range' looks more professional, more VAG like)
Motor torque becomes Torque (just 'Torque' looks better)

MENU pic 1
I will only write the updates involving text replacement and not the ones involving punctuation or abbreviation. You can observe those in pictures.

Measures becomes Utilites (i find utilities more appropriate for the content inside)
Diagnostic becomes Diagnosis (diagnosis is the general term, diagnostic is a singular noun)
Messages becomes Alerts (the car is alerting us about something, not texting us) :D
Trip data 1 becomes Computer 1 (Here I got inspired from my Audi, which shows Computer 1 and Computer 2. We are not always driving on a trip) :D
Trip data 2 becomes Computer 2 (same as above)
Acceleration becomes Lap timer (I activated this option on some Audi A7s and got inspired from there)
Read faults becomes Fault codes (aesthetics)
Design becomes Interface (I think is more suitable for what holds inside and looks more professional)
Others becomes Extras (aesthetics)
Start logo becomes Startup logo (aesthetics)
Backlight becomes Brightness (more appropriate)
Car image becomes Car icon (icon is the appropriate word, in my opinion, since you can't choose an image for the car)
Sliding becomes Slide (aesthetics)
Fade-in/out becomes Fade (to resemble the other effect, Slide)

MENU pic 2
MotorInfo becomes Engine info (Engine is the appropriate word. Combustion cars have engines, electric cars have motors) :)
Watch from CAN monitor becomes Monitor (we are monitoring can, as the menu item suggests)
Rotation becomes Revolution (I found 'Revolution' in some other place in ColorMFA so I put here as well)

MENU pic 3
Poweroff becomes Turnoff logo (to resemble 'Startup logo' - 'Poweroff' can be misinterpreted)
Trip data 3 becomes Computer 3 (same as for 1 and 2)
Volume becomes Capacity (I find capacity to be the appropriate word here)

SETTING pic 1
Statistics becomes Graphs (I found graphs inside, so graphs suits better)
Motor torque becomes Engine torque (I already explained motor vs. engine)
Please stop before start measuring ! becomes Car needs to be stopped to measure acceleration (aesthetics)
GO! GO! GO! becomes Lap timer (aesthetics, again)
Impossible to make a measurement on stopped engine ! becomes Car needs to be running to measure acceleration (aesthetics)
The following services through becomes Service in (aesthetics)

SETTING pic 2
Warning ! You really want to enter flashing mode ? becomes WARNING! Are you sure you want to enter flashing mode? (aesthetics and formulation)
+ other small aesthetic changes

SETTING pic 3
Warning! These options don't change TPMS mode. Is affected only on visible message on screen. becomes NOTE These options don't change TPMS mode Only message on screen is affected
Wait reply becomes Waiting response
No reply from TPMS becomes No response from TPMS
Idle rev.: becomes Idle RPM:
in moving: becomes driving: (in moving is incorrect, moving would've been the correct form, but driving is the appropriate one)
standing still: becomes stationary: (more appropriate)
warming up: becomes idleing: (more appropriate)
Big speed becomes Large speed (this refers to the size of the information displayed, so large is more appropriate)

SETTING pic 4
Oil level measure failed ! becomes Failed to measure oil level
in standing: becomes stationary:

SYSERROR pic 1
Here I reduced the clutter a bit and made it look more original. There is no need for the "malfunction !" expression, we know the error is about a malfunction.

SYSERROR pic 2
Same thing as in SYSERROR pic 1.
Последний раз редактировалось mmgherasim 13 апр 2020, 10:25, всего редактировалось 10 раз.
AUDI A4 B7
2.0 TDI quattro BPW
ColorMFA on Color FIS
AudiUnlimited

Сообщение  02 мар 2020, 17:12

I love your work! Nice to know there are still grammar nazis out there :D :D
8) Audi A4 B5 Avant | MJ 2000 | 1.9 TDI | 81 KW / 110 HP | AFN/AVG | quattro 8)
mmgherasim
Контакты:

Сообщение  02 мар 2020, 18:52

Thanks! I would love to see this updated on main ColorMFA, if Autopilot decides so. I will keep updating it further after I get my screen, so I can see better how text looks on the screen itself. :D I made this based on youtube videos and the language files.
AUDI A4 B7
2.0 TDI quattro BPW
ColorMFA on Color FIS
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  03 мар 2020, 05:41

I wrote to you in PM... some changes are accepted. But not all of them.

You are looking how the ECU name described in VCDS. But VCDS is not the original tool. And VCDS use abbreviated names for some ECU because also need fit text to buttons.
Look how ECU name described in ODIS. For example:
06 - is not memory seat ECU, in ODIS is "Seat Adjustment Passenger Side"
18 and 7D - you use same name "Aux. Heat". But one of this ECU is "Auxiliary Parking Heater". And both ECU can be installed is one car. Both ECU with same name is not good. IMHO.
Also in ODIS does not use "Instruments". Use "Dash Board".
You have expanded some text: "Steer.Wheel" -> "Steering wheel", "Sound syst." -> "Sound System", e.t.c.. But is not fit to screen and look not good. You see text width with fixed font, but in ColorMFA used proportional font and width is not the same as you see in your editor. This must be remembered not only when viewing the list of ECUs.

For warning/error texts, I think "Please fasten your seatbelt" is more friendly than "Fasten your seatbelt". :)
This is true for all warning texts.

But, as I wrote before, some changes are accepted.
Добавьте данные об автомобиле в подпись (профиль -> подпись). Чтоб не спрашивать постоянно... :)
Please add info about your car to you signature (profile -> edit signature). To not ask every time... :)
mmgherasim
Контакты:

Сообщение  03 мар 2020, 10:56

That’s ok. I said I only did this based on YouTube videos and language files. I will have my screen soon and can work better on it. As long as you accept the warning and error mods, it will still be a nice update. I know VCDS is not the official tool, but most of us use VCDS and that’s why I chose to resemble it. For the Dashboard I think it's ok to use Instruments, because in ETKA the part is found as instrument cluster. The expanded text you can leave it unabbreviated. The seatbelt should be fastened :D The car should impose you to do it, not asking nicely, that's why I removed "Please". Thank you!
AUDI A4 B7
2.0 TDI quattro BPW
ColorMFA on Color FIS
lateralus

Сообщение  08 мар 2020, 02:11

I like this idea! :D
Keep it going!! :good:
2003 VW Golf IV 1.9TDI AXR # ColorMFA from 7th batch (MFDB v3.2 on 1J5 920 926C)
mmgherasim
Контакты:

Сообщение  25 мар 2020, 23:22

So, I can't expand 'Sound syst.' to 'Sound System' because it won't fit on screen? I expanded it because I saw there are other module names that uses more characters and I did it based on the largest name present in the list. For example: 'Sliding door.L' or 'Pass.Seat.Adj.' which uses 14 characters and 'Sound system' only 12. If the issue why some names can't use 14 characters to be extended, let me know, I won't deal with ECU names. Thank you!

UPDATED ORIGINAL POST
AUDI A4 B7
2.0 TDI quattro BPW
ColorMFA on Color FIS
blackgolf

Сообщение  27 июн 2020, 10:56

I really feel I need to comment on a few things on here :D
DIAG screen
Timeout response becomes Response timeout (proper formulation)
Failed reply becomes Invalid reply (same as above, invalid is the appropriate word)
You can use response or reply but I'd keep it consistent.
MAIN screen
Current speed becomes Speed (just 'speed' looks better, but won't be seen by most of us, anyway, because we have 'Large speed' enabled for main screen)
Current speed is more appropriate.
Travel time becomes Drive time
In the original handbook it's called 'Driving time'.
Traveled distance becomes Distance
'Traveled distance'
MENU screen 1
Trip data 1 becomes Computer 1
Trip data 2 becomes Computer 2
In the context trip is correct.
Acceleration becomes Lap timer
Lap timer is technically not correct, as a you only call it a lap if it's a circuit or loop. I'd keep acceleration (measurement).
Read faults becomes Fault codes
Read fault codes
MENU screen 2
Rotation becomes Revolution
RPM
MENU screen 3
Poweroff becomes Turnoff logo
Turn off logo
Trip data 3 becomes Computer 3
Trip data 3
SETTING screen 1
Statistics becomes Graphs
Statistics
Please stop before start measuring ! becomes Car needs to be stopped to measure acceleration
Car needs to be stationary to measure acceleration.
GO! GO! GO! becomes Lap timer
GO!
Impossible to make a measurement on stopped engine ! becomes Car needs to be running to measure acceleration
Engine needs to be running to measure acceleration.
SETTING screen 2
Warning ! You really want to enter flashing mode ? becomes WARNING! Are you sure you want to enter flashing mode?
WARNING! Are you sure you want to enter flash mode?
SETTING screen 3
Warning! These options don't change TPMS mode. Is affected only on visible message on screen. becomes NOTE These options don't change TPMS mode Only message on screen is affected
NOTE: These options don't change TPMS mode. Only the message on screen is affected.
Wait reply becomes Waiting response
Either ‘Awaiting response’ or ‘Waiting for response’
SETTING pic 4
Oil level measure failed ! becomes Failed to measure oil level
or ‘Oil level measurement failed’
SEAT Toledo 1M 2003
1.8T AUQ
Golf 4 HalfFIS Immo3 --> ColorMFA
Ответить