Cutting Traces on Circuit Board

Technical issues

Вопросы по установке. Монтаж, пайка, проводки...
Questions about the installation. Mounting, soldering, wiring ...
Ответить
GregM

Сообщение  24 июн 2020, 04:52

The installation instructions for VW clusters require cutting 3 traces on the cluster circuit board. But the traces to cut are surrounded by the green connector, a needle motor and some other components, which makes it difficult.

I've followed the traces on the circuit board and discovered that they go to 3 pins on the small display board. Do you think it would be ok to cut the traces just before they reach the 3 pins on the display board like this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EVLbmqV5SNRgKH7i7

(above photo is the back side of the main cluster board)

That would make it much easier I think as there are no other big components in that area to get in the way.

Thanks!
autopilot
Контакты:

Сообщение  24 июн 2020, 07:11

Only if you are sure of these wires and if after cutting these wires there is no voltage left on the pins 23-25 (green socket) ...
If you plan to cut the wires with a tool like Dremel, you need to do this carefully. Cluster PCB may have inner layers. Internal wires can be damaged when cutting with Dremel.
Добавьте данные об автомобиле в подпись (профиль -> подпись). Чтоб не спрашивать постоянно... :)
Please add info about your car to you signature (profile -> edit signature). To not ask every time... :)
GregM

Сообщение  26 июн 2020, 04:03

Thanks, I will double check the traces and will then try this the next time I install a ColorMFA. I think the VW MKIV VDO circuit boards are only 2 layers. I held it up to a bright light and could see the traces on the other side of the board but none in the middle.
Ответить